I don’t want to be a whiner.
Have you ever looked at your life and thought “Why does it have to be this way?”
Of course you have. Everyone has moments of wondering.
Some of us have had a lifetime of wondering.
Then I saw all that God has done.
No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun.
Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning.
Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it.
People have questioned their circumstances for millennia. In the book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon writes that even though we search out the reasons and the meaning behind our circumstances, no one can truly know.
Perhaps there are better questions to be asking than simply asking “Why?”
For those questioning your circumstances, I offer several questions that might help you view your life a little differently than you have until now:
- How can I live through these circumstances in a way that honors those around me and brings glory to God?
- What does my life look like from God’s perspective?
- What does God see when He looks at me in these circumstances? What emotion does He feel when He sees my struggle?
- How could this situation actually be for my good?
- Are there any steps I can take to change my circumstances? What are they? Do I need support to carry them out? Who can help me?
As long as we seek to understand the “why” of our circumstances, we will be in constant search for meaning. We can’t fully know why. But we can seek to understand God’s love for us. That changes everything.
Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.
Many waters cannot quench love.
Song of Solomon 8:6-7(a)
He loves us.
Oh, how He loves us!
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
“For who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor?”
“Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?”
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:33-36